Sunday, February 01, 2004

P-ROC you don't stop...

7:00 - I drag my limp self into the shower, make a quick protein shake, then head over to traffic school. I seriously misjudged my travel time, but ended up arriving right at 8:00. Surprisingly, I actually learned a few interesting things about smog laws, insurance, and the vehicle code in general. I'm just a little more paranoid about being pulled over again. You don't want to get caught without a seatbelt... that's $400 plus. Speeding in a school zone... $800 or something. DUI? Oh man. $10,000 plus after all is said and done (classes, legal fees, etc).

Still, I really wished OC offered the internet class. There were several better things I could have done with my $30 and 7 hours (we made a deal with our instructor to let us out early if we helped him "recover" some funds that disappeared) I spent in an little motel meeting hall. Like the homeless outreach. Or the Days stateline turnaround. I need to avoid them cops.

I headed home then my family and I rolled to LA for my cousin's debut... the same debut my Mom assumed I didn't want to go to because I've been to a debut before. Where's the logic in that? It was a block away from LACC and the College Pizza place we ate at one time after Christmas carolling two or three years ago. It's weird for me to feel nostalgic about places in LA that I only really went to after I got into college, even though I lived in LA until I was 8 and went there to visit my cousins in the same area. I guess my world is just expanding.

The debut itself was cool. I didn't really know anybody except my aunties, uncles, and cousins on my dad's side, who I see on the holidays. My auntie helped cater I think, and the food was the bomb. Lechon X 2. Nuff said. The ceremonial stuff went alright. The MC was loud. And fobby. I wouldn't have cared much, except the sound was turned up way too loud (making my slight headache throb) and he kept repeating the obvious.

Considering my relationship with my cousins is like my relationship with my sisters and brother, I felt a little out of place. Her video montage was pretty tight... just hella long. 30 minutes long. But at the end I felt like breaking out my camera and firing away. If only I had the money, I'd drop maybe 2 grand for a nice digital SLR... in my dreams. They played Isn't She Lovely and My Cherie Amor as part of the soundtrack, so I was digging it. My brother did the rose thing, while my mom gave a "symbolic gift." It's funny how awkward they were in front of everybody. Then my mom tried to do the electric slide. She needs practice. I just kept seeing people bumping into my mom.

Once they dimmed the lights and turned up the music, we figured it was our cue to leave. My parents aren't ones to stick around for the dance. I invited my cousin to come to HSO at UCI. I think it'd be awesome if she came to UCI. Weird, yet awesome. I gotta strengthen the family ties. Who can say for sure though?

Back home to Chino Hills. It's always a struggle trying to leave without getting irritated somehow. There's the talk about school, the seemingly endless amounts of food my mom tries to give me, the stalling... I did my best to only take whatever food I knew I could finish before it spoiled and came back to Irvine. I pass by Mesa Court to see if anyone was at Janice's dorm for her birthday, but I just got to see David and Victor leaving. Back to the apartment.

There's a lot to do tomorrow. Sleep, I miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home