Thursday, October 07, 2004

Things are slowly changing around here.

I'm starting to notice things I've missed for too long. Tonight my dad showed me an album--the album I walked past at least 30 times in the past few months--of his family back in PI. My family. I'm not quite sure why I didn't check it out earlier, but it was nice that my dad was there to tell me the story of all the faces. Looking through my family's photo albums used to be very much like looking through someone else's pictures. There were so many people I had never met, and I'm pretty sure I've never met the majority of them, at least on my mom's side. Looking through this album was different though. My aunt recently went to the PI and hunted all the photos down and put them all in this album. I saw a piece of myself in those pictures. I started to see myself in my parents. This concept of family that I've long struggled with is suddenly revealing itself to me. For a long time I've felt a sense of detachment and deprivation when it came to family. What have I been missing?

All of this history and so many stories still unheard... I suddenly have a strong urge to buy a new camera and lay down some history of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home