Monday, July 07, 2003

July. The 6th. It was much cooler in the morning than the two days previous. I woke up wondering why I wasn't sweating. I resorted to watching the Real World and Who's Got Game before I had to quiet my increasingly angry stomach. Feeling the need to "fight gravity" (as my roommates put it) I rolled to the ARC. I pulled to a stop on Bison and East Pelatson, looked down and then got reacquainted with my headrest. The 4Runner had so much momentum that my car hit the Mercury Sable in front of me. Normally I don't sit my foot on the brake after I stop, because a stick shift doesn't idle forward when you're not braking, but for some reason I still had my foot on the brake. I didn't see Pablo coming...

Two large holes in my bumper. Sucks. The trunk was dented up pretty well too. I thought about the dude who hit my rear passenger side door about a year ago and didn't bother leaving a note or anything. If Pablo hit that door, then I could get it fixed up. Oh well. We exchanged information, but he didn't have his license on him. The other driver, Matthew, got pretty pissed off and told him if he didn't have a valid license he'd make sure Pablo got a ticket for it. I felt sorry for Pablo. He worked at one of UCI caferterias, so I know he couldn't have been well off. I just hope his insurance is valid and it can cover all the damages, because I don't think he'd be able to cover it out of pocket. I'm not looking forward to losing my car during the repairs either. I'm not quite sure if it will affect my resale value either. At least nobody got hurt. It could have been worse. What if I wasn't braking? What if he was going a lot faster? What if he was driving a raised truck? I wonder if my parents will try to put some of the blame on me...

At mass the priest talked about mistakes, specifically about how parents try to set a perfect example for their children. What ends up happening though is that the child is led to believe that perfection is what is required of them and they tend to hide their mistakes and they don't have much of a chance to work through them and learn from them. Some of the best learning experiences come from mistakes, even if at the time they may seem huge. The same can be said about leaders; no leader is perfect. People need to understand that it is far more important to deal with the mistake than to assign blame. The preist also talked about feeling helpless in seeing other people in pain. You can't empathize with a person if you always have something to say when they're experiencing something traumatic. Often what you say trivializes what they're going through. In your own feeling of helplessness, there is an acknowledgment that their pain is real and you're able to comfort them with your presence alone. He went into the subject of weakness, and how people tend to ask for strength in hard times. He said that weakness is essential is recognizing that you can't do everything by yourself. That's where God comes in, sending someone to help you through. I wonder what life would be like if I believed everything that I gained was by my own accomplishment and I didn't need anyone else's help.

After mass, Chris, Karen, Gerald, Boraccho, and I watched Terminator 4 at the ghetto Woodbridge Cinemas. I liked it, though it could have been more solid on the plot level and it seemed a little short. We chilled for the obligatory 30 minutes in the parking lot, talking about kleptos, people who hit parked cars, rear end collisions, and crazy car antics. I hope T4 comes out.

I'll be looking in my rear view more often...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home