Tuesday, August 26, 2003

I'm on extended weekend mode, so much in fact that it's now like after moving and MCATs, the past week has been a nice long weekend.

Thursday
A very productive day. Wake up, eat, watch TV, go online, work out, eat, more online, sleep. Sometime before sleeping, a few of us PUSO peeps (Derrick, Jas, Jacki, Vanessa, and Kris) decided to go clubbing. It was out in Long Beach at The Pier. I haven't been clubbing in a while, and only once to an 18 and over club, so I made the mistake of thinking there was a dress code. I already felt overdressed when I pulled up in the parking lot. Old and overdressed. What guy over 21 goes to an 18 and over club? I guess that's me. It was fun though. The place wasn't as ghetto as I thought it was when we got inside, and the guys weren't nearly as clingy as they are in 21 and over clubs. The music selection wasn't the greatest either, but whatever. Most of the people trying to squeeze around people dancing were actually pretty polite and tapped you on the back instead of just trying to push you out of their way. Then there was the girl dancing on the platform wearing that 3 inch wide cloth over her chest with the cellulite on her ass showing... and the kids with camera phones taking pictures of said ass... and the guys who beat up the poor deer thing on the patio (it never did anything to them)...

Afterwards, we were all dehydrated and sleepy, so we rolled over to Alerto's for large horchatas and carne asada burritos/fries, but not before a little speeding through Westminster Mall to get some money from Derrick's bank. The patio at Alerto's just closed, so we all ate at Derrick's place at Newport North. Jasmine educated us with Ed's Filipino FHM before we all left at 3 am.

Friday
I woke up hella late, so I had to get packed up and dressed in a hurry so I wouldn't hold up anything for the PUSO board retreat. Filipino time still applies though, so I wasn't the last one to arrive. We got everything in the cars, played some t.p. football, gassed up, and rolled out. We were able to dodge the worst of the Friday rush hour traffic by taking the 241 tollroad and 71, but got held up some on the 215. We finally got to Big Bear Lake around 8 and picked up our keys. After some ceremonial surprise-surprise stuff, we got to see what a phat cabin we rented. And phat it was. Pool table, 3 bedrooms (one with a nice waterbed), extra large living room, and plenty of hot water. The tubs even had jets in them. Sweet. We got some business out of the way and went crazy with the pool table. The rest of the weekend went something like this:
- pool balls don't always stay on the table
- grilled pork chops for dinner
- girls bet the guys a dollar each at pool. Guys go up 1-0. Girls go to sleep.
- trying to convince Kris that the deer head on the wall winks at you when you look at its reflection in the window
- sleeping on the floor, next to the nice waterbed
- taking care of business
- a much needed nap after before lunch
- dogpile on the waterbed! And I'm on the bottom...
- hamburgers for lunch
- body parts icebreaker - and it wasn't an ass...
- more business
- the human pretzel icebreaker - the first time, we took 20 minutes and Ryan made good friends with Jeannie and Melanie, but we couldn't figure it out. The second time, we got untangled in less than 2 minutes and we had two separate circles. The third time was pretty crazy. Ryan had to do a flip over Mike's back and his ass got better acquainted with somebody... 10 minutes later we had one big circle.
- more business at the pool table. A lot gets done when people aren't falling asleep.
- the best part. Dinner was prepared by good old Outreach Coords, Vaness, Mel, and I. We made rice and Cajun style chicken (with test chicken), rice, and southern style corncakes with bacon. And rice. With more rice on the side. The rice was courtesy of Melissa, who made just enough so the rice cooker wouldn't explode with rice. Just barely. We tried closing it again and the metal part of the lid came off when we opened it again. I didn't know it came off...
Vanessa and Melissa volunteered to grill the chicken while I tried my hand at the corncakes with bacon. I never made them before, so I improvised a lot. They didn't bring a decent can opener, so it took me 10 minutes just to get the 6 lbs. can of corn open. The smell of 6 lbs. of corn is a little nauseating. I didn't know how I was going to grind the corn up, so I spent another 20 mintues trying to do it by hand. Luckily Vince pointed out the thing hanging on the wall, one of those electric food choppers that used to be so popular in infomercials. It worked just great, except I ended up with corn bits all over my shirt.
Little did I know that outside, Mel and Ness were busy making "test chicken" (being as they've never grilled before). The first two batches looked like fresh coal... "Where's the chicken?"... I killed the rest of the brown sugar I found in the cupboard for the corncakes and kept stalling as everyone was getting tired, or hungry, or both. Mel took the black skin off the chicken, and it was still a little pink, so we threw it in the oven to cook some more. The next batch came, and we had to throw that in the oven too. I finished off the corncakes, then grilled the last few chicken thighs (non-Cajun style) and we were done. Two and a half hours later. It was 12:30.
While we were eating, it was mad quiet. We couldn't tell if it was the food or because they just woke up. Somehow, the 3 pounds of corn that didn't go into the corncakes was finished, along with the majority of the chicken. It was good, just very black. The girls sat the chicken right over the flames the whole time. Hehehehe...
- more pool. I finally got some consistency when I play. It's all in the follow-through.
- "Yoga" comes out of the bag and fishbowl
- a few of us watched the stars outside and tried to look for all the constellations we knew for sure. All one of them. Orion. We didn't find it.
- more pool. I started making some nice combination shots. I think I did 2 combos with the 8 ball, which won the game, but the girls thought we were making up rules as we went along. I used my impression of the landlord in Kingpin to keep the girls losing, while Mel made fun of our finger pointing. "You and your little..."
- Vanessa got in the habit of moving the cue ball around, but only a couple of inches, to make things a little simpler.
- girls lost their dollars. "Winner takes half." It was all Jen.
- incriminating "Yoga" deeds on camera with unsuspecting sleeping board members
- we all crashed in the living room right around sunrise, listening to Mike and Melissa take turns sounding off
- corncakes for breakfast. And rice. And bagels. And apple cider.
- pictures. And those picture timers.
- passing out on the way down the mountain
- stopping at Ontario Mills. It had to be about 110 in the parking lot with the heat reflecting off the asphalt. Even worse, we had to throw all our things from the back of the truck into the cab. We left Mel's rice out though. There was a Nike Outlet store, so I strolled in and found some Ultraflights for $50. We went to go eat, but didn't really decide on anything for 15 minutes. Finally, we ordered a pizza and everyone else started eating. We were all pretty comatose afterwards, so we scrapped the idea of walking around the whole mall. I went back to the Nike store to get my shoes. I had to try them on, because I'm a picky shopper. I wanted some running shoes too, but I didn't like the ones they had there. I finally bought my shoes, and walked back to the entrance, where everyone applauded me for finally buying the shoes. I wasn't that long... maybe 30 minutes. Ok, it was pretty long. But shoes are important...
- one more stopover at Frances's house in Rancho Cucamonga, where it was only about 100 degrees. We watched some Road Rules and got rehydrated before headed off to Irvine.
- we watched the video Kris took at Derrick's pad
- Ryan, Vince, Kris, and I met up at church and sat together, behing Joyce and Mel. I don't think I ever went to mass with any PUSO peeps (besides the LOG peeps), so it was cool. Afterwards we went to Pho Bac and played ten fingers, except when we got out, we just started counting in the negative. I think I reached -18... Ryan was about -36... I can't believe I didn't beat Kris in the end, but they started targeting me.

It was a great weekend. Here come the withdrawls...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home