Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I'm struck by floods of existential thought every now and then. Sometimes I wonder what neurotransmitters are out of balance in my head and what's really flowing through my vein because I can't see it. I wonder (from an evolutionary perspective) why humans are content to waste their lives away in front of the television getting obese off food with no positive nutritional value. I wonder why one lump of flesh and bone might not like another lump of flesh and bone. I wonder how many of my molecules are actually related to my parents' molecules. Or my brother's molecules. I wonder why no matter how many laws there are to govern nature and the world at large, no person can truly be sure about anything.

I can't be sure about anything.

It flies in the face of countless theories about the serendipitously random creation of the universe out of a unimaginably immense explosion--that a innumerable trillions of carefully arranged and structured molecules can breathe, eat, sleep, think, understand, want, give, hate, love, and even kill itself... multiplied by several billions of humans, mixed with economic, political, and social interactions... to divide money that only represents value... to stand by abstractions like liberty, justice, and truth... to be offended or edified by actions, behaviors "controlled" by a 3 pound mass of gray and white matter enclosed in a protective shell--am I supposed to believe this is all random?

My God.
Why then do I doubt You?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home