Friday, July 18, 2003

I woke up before noon. I hope I can keep it up. Hehe.

There were several new developments in my life today.
- I finally registered for the August MCAT. That gives me a little over 4 weeks to study like no other. I'm probably looking at 6 hours a day of quality time with the MCAT study books. More bad news: had I registered a week earlier, right after my parents gave me some money to offset the cost of the test, I would have saved $50, the late fee for registration. Procrastination does not pay.
- The body shop has got the parts for my car and they're beginning to smooth them down and get them fitted.
- I got my financial aid statement today. Even though I'm only eligible for one more quarter's worth of the Cal Grant (basically free tuition), I received another grant to cover the rest of my fees, plus some left over. That translates into $700 a month for my living expenses. After loans and whatnot. I need some cashflow now.

Melissa bailed on our HSO planning meeting. That meant no beach, but it was cloudy anyway. I spent the extra time burning some papers. I don't have a shredder yet, so I just took a big stockpot and burned everything. It was a good 3 pounds of mixed paper, so it took maybe an hour and a half to burn it all to ashes. I sat there with rubbing alcohol to keep it burning, some BBQ to pull out the unburned papers, and a bucket of water in case the wind picked up and somehow the house caught on fire. I watched some TV, worked out, bought some milk, went home to pick up some letters and more groceries (it's always nice when your parents offer you a trunkload of food) and headed back to my place. Funny how that all adds up to 15 hours.

Going home I saw a nasty looking collision on the 91. There weren't even any police or ambulances there yet, so I got a good look. From what I saw, a civic hit a mustang pretty hard from the rear. And the mustang ended up on top of the civic. The back wheels of the mustang were all the way up on the middle of the civic's roof. Crazy. It didn't look like anyone was seriously hurt though. I read about the driver (85 years old I think) who crashed through Farmer's Market when I got home. Turns out he mistook his accelerator for his brakes. When he didn't stop, he just stepped on the gas harder; he probably topped out at 60 MPH. When he finally stopped, there was a dead lady on the hood of his car and another lady he dragged underneath his car. He seemed calm, just disoriented and confused. It scares me to think drivers like that are out there. Drivers over 75 are 3 times more likely to be involved in a fatal collision than drivers over the age of 25. I'm not being discriminatory, but you can't ignore facts. They should really change the driver's test to include mandatory freeway driving and accident avoidance. They should have some kind of emergency situation training also. I think police should ticket drivers who can't change lanes safely if their lives depend on it, because literally, they do. And not just their own. It's bad enough worrying about drivers who don't get the pedals right. It's not like insurance companies won't profit either by taking dangerous drivers off the road. All that money that disappears in traffic collisions could help build a bomb ass public transportation system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home